This quick and easy flavourful jerk chicken recipe comes to us courtesy of Inez ‘Aunt-I’ Grant.
Here’s how you can make it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
PREP TIME: 1 Hour 15 minutes
YIELD: 4 People
- 1 Chicken (whole)
- 1 bundle Green Onion
- 1-2 Scotch Bonnett Pepper
- (2-3 to make hotter)
- All Spice 7-8 seeds
- Thyme a sprig
- Aunt I’s Seasoning Salt
- 3 tbls (or a Lawry’s type seasoning salt)
- Water 1/4 cup as needed to get consistency
- Aunt I’s Wet Jerk Seasoning 1- tbsp.
- Cut chicken into quarters and clean.
- Cut green onions into 1 inch sections and cut up pepper in four.
- Coarsely chop the thyme, place it along with jerk seasoning, green onions, peppers, allspice and the seasoning salt in a blender / processor with 1/2 cup water
- Blend to a light oatmeal consistency then pour out into a bowl.
- For each quarter rub the chicken with the jerk seasoning and stuff the jerk seasoning between the skin and the flesh.
- Place mixed contents into storage pan and let marinade over night. (at least 12 hours)
- Remove the excess seasoning from the chicken. Heat the grill then place the quarters flesh side down first as to not let chicken burn too quickly.
- Flip the chicken every 5 to 7 minutes initially for it not burn then 7 to 10 minutes on lower heat until cooked. Cook time: 45 mins.
- Chop each quarter into 4 or 5 pieces to get the real Jamaican jerk experience
- Place into a serving container.