Here’s how you can make it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
YIELD: 6 Servings
- 4 – 6 fennel bulbs (depending on size), sliced lengthwise about ½ – ¾ ” thick
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh mint leaves
- 8 oz.. soft chevre or goat cheese
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. butter in a large sauté pan over a medium – high flame.
- Add fennel in a single layer and allow to cook till one side is brown and fennel is almost (but not quite) cooked through (1 ½ to 2 minutes), turn and brown other side – remove, season with sea salt and pepper and place in an oven proof baking dish. Add more oil and butter to the pan as needed and continue with the remaining fennel slices till complete.
- To the same pan add 1 tbsp. olive oil and 2 tsp. butter and allow to heat – add brown sugar and red onions – season onions with salt – lower flame and allow onions to caramelise mixing frequently. When onions are ready remove from flame. Spread caramelised onions over fennel, top with chopped mint. Spread ‘dots’ of chevre over the onions and fennel. Season wih salt and black pepper and place in a 350 degree F oven for 20 – 25 minutes till goats cheese has “baked”.
- For service either serve from same dish or use a metal spatula and transfer the fennel topped with onions and goats cheese to a serving platter. This dish is simply divine!!!!