Ham is a staple during Christmas in Jamaica and in many ways can be considered a part of the island’s Traditional Cuisine. Of course, this version adds a twist to the tradition of ‘dressing a ham.’ Use the recipe below to try it yourself this holiday season.
Here’s how you can make it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
PREP TIME: 1 Hour
YIELD: 2 Servings
- 1 large ham
- 1 tin pineapple juice
- 2 red stipe beers
- 1 shot white rum
- 6 cloves
- 3 tbsps. cinnamon
- 2bottles guava jam
- Remove wrapper from ham and place in a roasting pan with pineapple juice & red stripe, wrap in foil wrap.
- Steam in oven until its heated through (about a hour)
- Once heated through, remove skin & pour off drippings in a sauce pot, bring to a boil, add guava jam, cloves, white rum, turn flame to medium then simmer
- Using a paring knife score the ham
- Once the glaze thickens, spoon over ham, with broiler on or oven at 400-450 degrees, put the scoured ham with the sauce on in the oven.
- Keeping basting until it reaches desired colour.
- Rest the ham for 15-20mins slice and enjoy