Have last-minute guests coming over and not sure what to prepare? Don’t worry. This traditional Jamaican fish dish is not only quick and easy to prepare, but it is also rich in nutrients and antioxidants and is a crowd-pleaser every time.
Here’s how you can make it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: Serves 3 People
- 3 whole fish, approximately 1lb each
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup chopped Escallion
- 2 Plummy Tomatoes cut in quarters
- 2 cups cubed Yellow Yam
- Julienne of Cho Cho & Carrot
- 10 Okras (chopped)
- 1/4lb. cubed Pumpkin
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 small Onion sliced
- A sprig of fresh Thyme
- Place all ingredients except fish in a skillet, then bring to the boil.
- Simmer, add whole fish and cover the skillet to steam for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Add vegetables — julienne of 1 cho-cho, julienne of 1 carrot, 3 okra sliced, thyme
- Cook for further 5 minutes. Remove fish to a bowl with vegetables.
- Add thyme, reduce broth and season to taste. Pour over fish & add crackers.