Here’s how you can make it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
YIELD: 4 Servings
- 4 tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium yellow Onion,
- 1 red Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1 handful Thyme, chopped
- 1 Scotch Bonnet, seeded and minced
- 2 cups Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 Plum Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups water (approximate)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups sliced okra (sliced on the
bias about 2″ thick
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat, add garlic, onion, bell pepper, thyme, scotch bonnet and sauté till onions are soft and garlic is cooked.
- Add tomatoes and half of cilantro and allow to sauté for about 4
minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add brown sugar and ¾ cup water. Reduce heat and allow to cook until sauce is thickened and flavours are combined – about 15 minutes.
- In the mean time heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a clean sauté pan. Cook okra in batches sautéing quickly and seasoning with salt and pepper – cook okra for at least 8 minutes over high heat so that it is halfway cooked through .
- When all okra is finished combine it all together in a deep pot, add tomato sauce and mix together.
- At this point the okra may need to cook a little more so add a touch more of water as needed (maybe ¼ cup at a time) and allow to simmer together so that the okra can finish cooking and also absorb the flavours of the tomato sauce. Make sure to check the seasoning for salt and pepper.
- Add some fresh cilantro towards the end of cooking leaving some back for garnish.
- When ready to serve transfer into a serving dish and garnish with
freshly chopped cilantro.
Serve and enjoy!