Jamaican cuisine is sometimes a fusion of cultures, worlds, and flavours. This Tumeric Scotch Bonnet Spice Chicken Kebabs / Couscous Grilled Vegetables is the perfect embodiment of this.
Chef’s note: Dish is an ideal example of Moroccan Jamaican fusion
Here’s how you can make it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
PREP TIME: N/A
- 4 De-Boned Chicken Thighs *each thigh cut into 4 pieces
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ inch Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 Small Onion Chopped or Scallion
- 1 Small Onion (diced large for threading on skewers)
- ½ Teaspoon Scotch Bonnet Pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 Small Sprig of Thyme, use leaves
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Yogurt
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Lime or Lemon Juice
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt (or to taste as desired
- ¼ Teaspoon All Purpose Seasoning Powder
- 4 Wooden skewers soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- *Lemon Wedges (suggested for garnishing dish)
- Rinse chicken thighs with a little lime or lemon juice, and a splash of vinegar. Rinse with water, drain thoroughly and pat dry.
- Season chicken with garlic, ginger onion, pepper, herbs, spices, yogurt, oil, salt and pepper. Seat aside and refrigerate until grill is prepared.
- Prepare an outdoor barbeque or grill with hot coals, for cooking the chicken.
- Thread wooden skewers with drained seasoned chicken thighs and diced onion
- Grill or barbeque the kebabs about 5 minutes on each side or until the inside is cooked. Serve as appetizer with grilled flat bread or as an entrée with couscous.
Couscous Grilled Vegetables
For Grilled Vegetables
- 1 Medium Zucchini, cut into rounds or slices
- Red Onion, quartered
- 2-3 Asparagus Spears or Green Beans
- 1 Green Sweet Pepper, cut in half deseeded
- 1 Yellow or Red Sweet Pepper, cut in half, deseeded
- 2 Small Carrots or 1 medium Carrot cut in long wide strips
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3-4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Place prepared vegetables (wash, drained and cut as instructed) into a medium bowl and toss with garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables in batches until tender, about 2-3 minutes for each vegetable, allow more time for harder vegetables, set aside to cool. Cover sweet peppers (bell peppers) when hot in a separate bowl which will soften charred skin and making it easier to peel off the outer skin. Cut into desired lengths for serving with couscous.
- Prepare couscous as directed below.
For Grilled Vegetables
- 1 ¼ Cup Couscous (small or medium couscous)
- 1 ½ Cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock or Water (seasoned)
- 1 Tablespoon butter *optional
- 1 ½- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garnish Fresh Parsley, chopped
- In a medium pot heat stock, add couscous and boil for1- 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and gently stir in butter or olive oil, lemon zest and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in some of the grilled vegetables and leave the remainder to garnish sides and top of Couscous.